The Blog Of Mike Higginbottom

dunsbyowl1867

http://www.interestingtimestours.co.uk/index.php?mact=CGBlog,cntnt01,default,0&cntnt01category_id=1&cntnt01returnid=87

A few Sheffield related pieces on here including a fabulous photo of the interior of Huntsman Gardens School

Just corrected the guys name in the title Dunsbyowl

It's Higginbottom not Higgingbottom according to his linked blog.

As this is also my surname I hate it when people get it wrong.

He isn't related to me though.

Just corrected the guys name in the title Dunsbyowl

It's Higginbottom not Higgingbottom according to his linked blog.

As this is also my surname I hate it when people get it wrong.

He isn't related to me though.

Thank you Dave - people always spell my surname incorrectly it being Whitaker, not Whittaker - 2 "t"s just don't look right to me!

Thank you Dave - people always spell my surname incorrectly it being Whitaker, not Whittaker - 2 "t"s just don't look right to me!

I bet you get it spelt with 2 "k"'s as well, Whitakker!! :angry:

I regularly get the extra g thrown in (Higgingbottom) and an extra h (Higginbotham) or even a double error (Higgingbotham)

Interestingly, all these are valid and well used variations on the name, and when doing geneological family tree research I always either search phonetically or offer the alternative spellings to make sure I don't miss anyone in the records.

I found this out 10 years ago when my entire family failed to show in the 1901 census.

The reason was that the enumerator had recorded the entire family as Higginbotham instead of Higginbottom. :angry:

Search for your family with the wrongly spelt surname and there they are!

Two "t"s looks wrong to me as well, being a Mathews. I even had to have my first degree certificate replaced because someone's attention to detail was rather poor. Never mind, I had only been there 4 years.

Two "t"s looks wrong to me as well, being a Mathews. I even had to have my first degree certificate replaced because someone's attention to detail was rather poor. Never mind, I had only been there 4 years.

Two "t"s look right in my name, it's the "th" one that looks wrong to me.