Charles Barber & Co.

Stuart0742

We have received this by email, any information ?

Hello I am looking for some information on a knife I have. It has the following on the blade, Charles Barber & Co, Cutler, Sheffied. It also has the words hand forged. I am looking for information on this Company and knife. Any help you could provide would be great. Thank you

Ken Cameron

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Images as supplied by Ken

Hello I am looking for some information on a knife I have. It has the following on the blade, Charles Barber & Co, Cutler, Sheffied. It also has the words hand forged. I am looking for information on this Company and knife. Any help you could provide would be great. Thank you

Ken Cameron

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Charles Barber, Table knife manufacturer, Globe Works, Penistone Road (Kelly's 1893) (Link Fairie)

Charles Barber & Sons, Table knife cutlers, 76 Backfields (White's 1905)

(possible Charles Barber, Cutlery manufacturer, 33 Holly Lane, 1905)

Charles Barber (& Sons), Table knife Cutlers, 76 Backfield (White's 1911), home 11 Bruce Road

also Charles Barber Jun., Cutlery manufacturer, home 30 Fulmer Road (1911).

Some maps and links required ...

Ken Cameron

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

and Charles Barber, Cutlery manufacturer (Charles Barber & Sons), home 11 Bruce Road also Charles Barber Jun, home 30 Fulmer Road (White's 1919); works 76 Backfields.

and Charles Barber, Cutlery manufacturer (Charles Barber & Sons), home 11 Bruce Road also Charles Barber Jun, home 30 Fulmer Road (White's 1919); works 76 Backfields.

Exactly the same for 1925.

Guest KenCameron

thank you for the information, do you know if any of these companies are still in operation?

Guest Andy Barber

Ken Cameron

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Images as supplied by Ken

Hi

My name is Andy Barber and Charles Barber was my Grandfather. You don't give the length of the knife but if it's between 10-12 inches long is probably part of a carving set which would have consisted of knife, fork and steel and would have been cased usually velvet or silk lined. It is likely the knjfe was made prior to about 1950 as the company was renamed Charles Barber & Son Ltd when my father Tom Sydney Barber took it over. Many of the company's products were shipped to Canada and were sold through the Eatons stores there.

The handle is made of stag horn and the ferrule may have been silver or silver plate.

The Company was at 76 Backfields in the centre of Sheffield and was moved to 104 Mary St I think in the 60's with the redevelopment of the city centre. The markings on the blade also changed to a circular belt with the words Charles Barber & Son Ltd round the belt and usually Firth Stainless inside it. I see that a home address was also posted as 30 Fulmer Rd. This may have been my grandfather, but my father lived at 50 Fulmer Rd which is the house where I was brought up.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andy Barber

The Company was at 76 Backfields in the centre of Sheffield

Charles Barber (& Sons), Table Knife Cutlers, 76 Backfields (White's 1911)

Charles Barber (& Sons), Table Knife Cutlers, 76 Backfields (White's 1911)

Charles Jun. Barber, Cutlery Manufacturer (B.C. & Sons), h. 30 Fulmer Road (White's 1911)

Charles Jun. Barber, Table Knife Cutler (& Sons), h. 11 Bruce Road (White's 1911)

One too many Juniors, surely ?

Guest bruno211

Hi

My name is Andy Barber and Charles Barber was my Grandfather. You don't give the length of the knife but if it's between 10-12 inches long is probably part of a carving set which would have consisted of knife, fork and steel and would have been cased usually velvet or silk lined. It is likely the knjfe was made prior to about 1950 as the company was renamed Charles Barber & Son Ltd when my father Tom Sydney Barber took it over. Many of the company's products were shipped to Canada and were sold through the Eatons stores there.

The handle is made of stag horn and the ferrule may have been silver or silver plate.

The Company was at 76 Backfields in the centre of Sheffield and was moved to 104 Mary St I think in the 60's with the redevelopment of the city centre. The markings on the blade also changed to a circular belt with the words Charles Barber & Son Ltd round the belt and usually Firth Stainless inside it. I see that a home address was also posted as 30 Fulmer Rd. This may have been my grandfather, but my father lived at 50 Fulmer Rd which is the house where I was brought up.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andy Barber