Titanic - Any Sheffield Connections?

dunsbyowl1867

Anyone here know of any Sheffield survivors?

Titanic Heritage Trust

As the 100th Anniversary of Titanic approaches, Titanic Heritage Trust are pleased to

announce the creation of a database of descendants of survivors and of all those who

were lost on 15th April 1912.

"If anyone has a connection or knows someone who has a connection with the Titanic

please contact us.

"Also, as part of the 100th Anniversary events are being planned; we are hoping to get

together in one place as many as possible of the descendants of survivors and any

descendants of those who were lost when Titanic sank.

"If you have any information which would help us please contact:

"Howard Nelson, Titanic Heritage Trust, The TechnoCentre, Puma Way, Coventry

CV1 2TT.

"Telephone: 024 76236556, Email: enquiries@titanicheritagetrust.org.uk

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/ernest-gill-in-australia.html

Ernest Gill, crewed on the Califorian claims to have seen it sink, born Sheffield, attended Heeley Bank school.

Also:

Name: Mr John Dalziel

Born in Sheffield England

Ship: Californian

Closest I could find.

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-biography/joseph-groves-boxhall.html

Titanic's fourth officer appeared to have married in Sheffield:

'After his return from the war, Boxhall married Marjory Beddells, daughter of a Yorkshire industrialist, on 25 March 1919 in St Andrew's Church near her home in Sharrow, Sheffield. The marriage was a happy one, although the couple were childless. '

Arthur Price & Co. (1902)

RMS Titanic & White Star Line

Arthur Price & Co. were one of the suppliers of premium quality flatware to the luxury dining sections on board the Titanic and other ships in the White Star Line fleet. The pattern supplied was Panel Reed and this pattern has been recreated to mark the centennial.

1881 and 1891, looks like his family were Northumberland born, but moved to Sheffield and he was born here.

I'd but that down as a genuine Sheffield Titanic casualty:

Just emailed the Titanic Heritage Trust hoping to verify or otherwise a story which has been handed down through our family for 100 years. My Grandmother Lily Owen was in service in England in the early 20th century. Having saved up enough money to visit her friend in Canada, she bought a ticket on the Titanic. However, being unable or unwilling to make the trip, she relinquished the ticket.

I know the whole story sounds like a familiar cliche but I knew my grandmother and she was not inclined to telling untruths, half truths or lies. I have a post card from her friend in Canada dated August 1912 - 4 months after the disaster.

My Grandmother was born in Stockton on Tees, married George Geary and lived at 76 Doncaster Road Mexborough. I wonder if anyone with access to census records can help with dates? They might have moved there between 1912 and 1916 but I cannot be sure.

There are some very real and very tangible links back to RMS Titanic and the White Star Line, in Sheffield, even to this day.

The panelling and light fittings in the vestibule in the Cutler’s Hall come from the dismantled RMS Olympic, sister ship to the Titanic.

The sycamore panelling originated from the second class library and the chandeliers originated from the first class lounge

Just emailed the Titanic Heritage Trust hoping to verify or otherwise a story which has been handed down through our family for 100 years. My Grandmother Lily Owen was in service in England in the early 20th century. Having saved up enough money to visit her friend in Canada, she bought a ticket on the Titanic. However, being unable or unwilling to make the trip, she relinquished the ticket.

I know the whole story sounds like a familiar cliche but I knew my grandmother and she was not inclined to telling untruths, half truths or lies. I have a post card from her friend in Canada dated August 1912 - 4 months after the disaster.

My Grandmother was born in Stockton on Tees, married George Geary and lived at 76 Doncaster Road Mexborough. I wonder if anyone with access to census records can help with dates? They might have moved there between 1912 and 1916 but I cannot be sure.

My great grandmother claimed to have some relatives on board but I've checked all the family names but couldn't find any connections.

Quite sad looking on here where many female partners survived and the male died

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic_passenger_list/

There are some very real and very tangible links back to RMS Titanic and the White Star Line, in Sheffield, even to this day.

The panelling and light fittings in the vestibule in the Cutler’s Hall come from the dismantled RMS Olympic, sister ship to the Titanic.

The sycamore panelling originated from the second class library and the chandeliers originated from the first class lounge

So if the conspiracy theories are correct, this may all be from the Titanic :wacko:

So if the conspiracy theories are correct, this may all be from the Titanic :wacko:

The "conspiracy theory" you refer to is the well known one, which could well be true, that the Olympic and Titanic identities were switched after the Olympic was badly damaged in an accident with a naval ship in 1911 and the repair was something of a "botch job". It is thought that this could have been done as a sort of insurance fiddle. As a result, the Olympic, reidentified as the Titanic ended up hitting an iceberg and coming to rest at the bottom of the Atlantic, while the real Titanic, now reidentified as the Olympic, had a successful career making many transatlantic crossings until finally being withdrawn from service and scrapped in 1934.

The switch was possible because the two ships were "sister ships" and so were identical.

But as ships are individually made and not mass produced no two of them are ever exactly identical and can be told apart.

Now that bits of the Titanic (or is it the Olympic?) have been photographed or even retrieved from the sea bed there should be some evidence to prove or disprove the conspiracy theory either way.

Anyone know any more about this?

I didn't know about what you've just posted ...

The "conspiracy theory" you refer to is the well known one, which could well be true, that the Olympic and Titanic identities were switched after the Olympic was badly damaged in an accident with a naval ship in 1911 and the repair was something of a "botch job". It is thought that this could have been done as a sort of insurance fiddle. As a result, the Olympic, reidentified as the Titanic ended up hitting an iceberg and coming to rest at the bottom of the Atlantic, while the real Titanic, now reidentified as the Olympic, had a successful career making many transatlantic crossings until finally being withdrawn from service and scrapped in 1934.

The switch was possible because the two ships were "sister ships" and so were identical.

But as ships are individually made and not mass produced no two of them are ever exactly identical and can be told apart.

Now that bits of the Titanic (or is it the Olympic?) have been photographed or even retrieved from the sea bed there should be some evidence to prove or disprove the conspiracy theory either way.

I'm not making the conspiracy theory up, there is plenty about it on the net

http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titanic_conspiracy_theory.shtml

http://www.rmstitanicandhersisterships.20m.com/theory.html

http://www.titanic-theshipmagnificent.com/OlympicTitanic/

http://www.titanicuniverse.com/the-titanic-conspiracy-investigating-the-titanic-conspiracy-theory/124

..and of course even wikipedia has an article on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic_alternative_theories

Now the Olympic - Titanic conspiracy may well be true and it sounds sort of reasonable.

But there is one Titanic theory which I find hard to accept.

The Titanic struck the iceberg a glancing blow while turning hard to avoid it.

Evidence on the wreckage on the sea bed indicates this with the actual damage to the hull caused by the ice being a long, very narrow fracture running along the side.

There is no "massive hole", just this scratch fracture.

So why did it let in so much water and sink so quickly?

It is said that the steel plates used to make the hull were sub-standard and inferior quality making them subject to enbrittlement at low temperatures (i.e. north Atlantic winter water temperatures) causing them to crack and give as they slid along the iceberg.

The steel was said to have been made in Sheffield.

Now there's a conspiracy theory I cannot accept as reasonable.

Sub- standard, inferior quality steel plates that were made in Sheffield!!!!!

No way!

Who can reasonably be expected to believe that?

I think that swapping the identities of 2 rather large ships would be something which would take more than a few stealthy people and a can of paint on a dark night.

Think about it in practical terms.

There would be hundreds of people involved in one way or another. Can you just imagine the instructions to the painters:

"Just paint out where it says Olympic and re-paint it with Titanic - oh and by the way, do it when no one is looking and don't tell anybody"

And

"Just get a couple of mates and sail the Titanic round to Southhampton, park it, and bring the Olympic back here. Oh and by the way, don't let anybody see you and don't tell anyone"

And so on and so forth :)

I think that swapping the identities of 2 rather large ships would be something which would take more than a few stealthy people and a can of paint on a dark night.

Think about it in practical terms.

There would be hundreds of people involved in one way or another. Can you just imagine the instructions to the painters:

"Just paint out where it says Olympic and re-paint it with Titanic - oh and by the way, do it when no one is looking and don't tell anybody"

And

"Just get a couple of mates and sail the Titanic round to Southhampton, park it, and bring the Olympic back here. Oh and by the way, don't let anybody see you and don't tell anyone"

And so on and so forth :)

Well, I can see it from both sides and there seems to be insufficient evidence to be able to say yes or no to this one.

That's the sort of stuff that conspiracy theories are made of

We all like to debate the possibilities of it and have our own "favoured" view possibly, again it's that which makes it a conspiracy.

But in reality we probably never will know the truth.

Now, who did shoot JFK?