Old Methodist Chapel - South Street

popt

Does anyone know anything about the Old Methodist Chapel that used to exist on the old South Street in the Park district.

I believe it was very close to the end of Granville Lane and believe it closed circa 1928.

I'm particularly interested in the names of the Lay Preachers and the type of Methodism.

Appreciate any help. PopT

Does anyone know anything about the Old Methodist Chapel that used to exist on the old South Street in the Park district.

I believe it was very close to the end of Granville Lane and believe it closed circa 1928.

I'm particularly interested in the names of the Lay Preachers and the type of Methodism.

Is this it PopT ?

SH LINK

Guest purplejumper

Is this it PopT ?

SH LINK

The Methodist Church on Shrewsbury Road belonged to the United Methodist Free Church denomination.

There maybe Circuit Plans (with lists of preachers) held at the Rylands Museum in Manchester.

The Methodist Church on Shrewsbury Road belonged to the United Methodist Free Church denomination.
There maybe Circuit Plans (with lists of preachers) held at the Rylands Museum in Manchester.

According to the Sheffield City Council site .. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/parks/city-district-local-parks/cholera-monument-grounds/norfolk-heritage-trail.html
"The Sweet Factory;
This small stone building was originally a non-conformist chapel or sunday school, but was then a sweet factory well into the 20th century".

Shrewsbury Road, near to the end of Granville Lane .. Flash Earth

Guest Falls

Hello,

I remember this building well, as it was across Shrewsbury Road from our Doctor's surgery. In my early childhood (say the1940's) it was empty: however, at the end of the war, it became a tyre depot. Big wooden doors were fitted where the front entrance used to be.

On my last visit to the area, the church had been demolished but the front yard had been kept and used as a sort of lookout. You always had good view of the city from there. The location was always the coldest and windiest place in winter.

I never knew what happened to the congregation. I always assumed those that were left moved along the street to Talbot Street Methodists.

As for the records, a good place to try is the Victoria Hall on Norfolk Street. Methodist Churches used to be organized in to various "circuits" and back then, Victoria Hall was headquarters for one or more of these.

Regards

Guest plain talker

There was a purpose built chapel at the very top of Shrewsbury Road, at the junction with south street, above the building which had become a sweet factory by the 1970s.

I'm having a trawl to see if I can find a picture of it. will post the linky when/if I locate it.