Is This, This ?

RichardB

YDC versus Bluchers

YDC - Yorkshire Decorating Centre,West Bar/Gibralter Street and the junction with Furnace Hill looking towards Hope Works (after the large archway former F.G. Pearson & Co., edge tool manufacurers)

Bluchers - Unidentified street including Goverment Stores and derelict printers. Labelled as West Bar, however no mention can be found in directories(1910's)

YDC versus Bluchers

YDC - Yorkshire Decorating Centre,West Bar/Gibralter Street and the junction with Furnace Hill looking towards Hope Works (after the large archway former F.G. Pearson & Co., edge tool manufacurers)

Bluchers - Unidentified street including Goverment Stores and derelict printers. Labelled as West Bar, however no mention can be found in directories(1910's)

Been suggested and vox replied here

Before anyone asks - Bluchers are (courtesy Wikipedia) shoes with the vamp made of a single piece of leather ("one cut"). The vamp is the front part of the shoe, starting behind the toe, extending around the eyelets and tongue and towards back part of the shoe. They were named after the 18th century Prussian general Gebhard Leberecht von Blucher. General von Blücher commissioned a boot with side pieces lapped over the front in an effort to provide his troops with improved footwear. This design was adopted by armies across Europe.

Somewhere in that immediate area existed "Dalton Bros" a company engaged in manufacturing boots and clogs. I believe they started life near the Wicker and moved to larger premises on West Bar..

Somewhere in that immediate area existed "Dalton Bros" a company engaged in manufacturing boots and clogs. I believe they started life near the Wicker and moved to larger premises on West Bar..

Dalton Bros.Ltd. grindery dirs, 132 West Bar. 1911 directory.

Dalton Bros. Ltd. leather merchants, 132 West Bar. 1925 directory.

"grindery dirs"?

For your interest my Grandfather always used to call Wellington boots:- Bluchers. I always thought that Bluchers must have been a first World War term for something similar to Wellingtons.

I have just sent this message to the archives in connection with the photo.:

"Hello – just sending a comment on one of the unidentified photos.  This was “Labelled as West Bar” and I thought it was the corner of West Bar and Furnace Hill but I have been to look and it definitely is not: the building does not  match.  Judging from the slope of the street, it could be from the nearby corner of West Bar and Lambert St, where the building no longer exists.

Hope this may be of interest to someone some day.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20317&pos=157&action=zoom&id=22830"

This is on the opposite side of the road to the people in the directory Steve HB posted