Stuart0742

Sheffield History Pro

• Sheffield History Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,468 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

Received this by email, can anybody help

hi there

in the process of sorting through my Dad's old tools, I came across this unusual wee knife and would like to know more about it

it is inscribed: Rodgers Cutlers to His Majesty on one side and Sheffield, England + Maltese cross on other (see photo attached)
total length is 6 and a half inches

any info gratefully received re age, type of wood, its use

thanks, Ruth Munro

rodgers.jpg

#2 miked

miked

Sheffield History Pro

• Sheffield History Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

hi there

in the process of sorting through my Dad's old tools, I came across this unusual wee knife and would like to know more about it

it is inscribed: Rodgers Cutlers to His Majesty on one side and Sheffield, England + Maltese cross on other (see photo attached)

thanks, Ruth Munro

rodgers.jpg

Hi,
Pretty sure its a "desk-knife" used as an eraser, for scratching or scraping away writing mistakes. Not sure about date, Edwardian perhaps? Handle, rosewood ?

#3 jmdee

jmdee

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:53 AM

Looks to me to be a penknife blade that has been fitted into a handle. The reinforced area on the shank end of the blade is common on penknives, but not on fixed blade knives. Also there appears to be the fingernail groove to lift it out of the handle, again, used only on penknives.

Hi,
Pretty sure its a "desk-knife" used as an eraser, for scratching or scraping away writing mistakes. Not sure about date, Edwardian perhaps? Handle, rosewood ?

#4 SteveHB

SteveHB

Sheffield History Pro

• Sheffield History Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,741 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

Looks to me to be a penknife blade that has been fitted into a handle. The reinforced area on the shank end of the blade is common on penknives, but not on fixed blade knives. Also there appears to be the fingernail groove to lift it out of the handle, again, used only on penknives.

I don't think it is penknife blade, how could the blade fold?
It has a broad part at the base, something you do not see on a folding blade.

knife_ee.jpg

#5 miked

miked

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

Someone posted a similar knife on here in 2008. (I googled it would you believe?) I dont know if the link below works or otherwise search for "HMSO"
http://www.sheffield...3133&qpid=68812

They are not rare, I have about a dozen old blades.

======================================
Good find Mike!
Here is a working SH link ..
HMSO Pen Knife

Edited by SteveHB, 28 January 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#6 lazarus

lazarus

Sheffield Historian

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

hi there

thanks, Ruth Munro

rodgers.jpg

I think its just an ordinary Penknife blade thats been adapted for someones personal use, the handle doesnt seem to be in keeping with Joseph Rodgers products.