Small Knife

Stuart0742

Received this by email, can anybody help

hi there

in the process of sorting through my Dad's old tools, I came across this unusual wee knife and would like to know more about it

it is inscribed: Rodgers Cutlers to His Majesty on one side and Sheffield, England + Maltese cross on other (see photo attached)

total length is 6 and a half inches

any info gratefully received re age, type of wood, its use

thanks, Ruth Munro

hi there

in the process of sorting through my Dad's old tools, I came across this unusual wee knife and would like to know more about it

it is inscribed: Rodgers Cutlers to His Majesty on one side and Sheffield, England + Maltese cross on other (see photo attached)

thanks, Ruth Munro

Hi,

Pretty sure its a "desk-knife" used as an eraser, for scratching or scraping away writing mistakes. Not sure about date, Edwardian perhaps? Handle, rosewood ?

Looks to me to be a penknife blade that has been fitted into a handle. The reinforced area on the shank end of the blade is common on penknives, but not on fixed blade knives. Also there appears to be the fingernail groove to lift it out of the handle, again, used only on penknives.

Hi,

Pretty sure its a "desk-knife" used as an eraser, for scratching or scraping away writing mistakes. Not sure about date, Edwardian perhaps? Handle, rosewood ?

Looks to me to be a penknife blade that has been fitted into a handle. The reinforced area on the shank end of the blade is common on penknives, but not on fixed blade knives. Also there appears to be the fingernail groove to lift it out of the handle, again, used only on penknives.

I don't think it is penknife blade, how could the blade fold?

It has a broad part at the base, something you do not see on a folding blade.

Someone posted a similar knife on here in 2008. (I googled it would you believe?) I dont know if the link below works or otherwise search for "HMSO"

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=40&t=3133&qpid=68812

They are not rare, I have about a dozen old blades.

======================================

Good find Mike!

Here is a working SH link .. HMSO Pen Knife

Guest lazarus

hi there

thanks, Ruth Munro

I think its just an ordinary Penknife blade thats been adapted for someones personal use, the handle doesnt seem to be in keeping with Joseph Rodgers products.