Famous Sheffield Residents

Sheffield History

George Littlewood

World's Champion Long Distance Runner and Walker

Record for running 623 miles 1320 yards set December 1888 in New York - Record nort broken for 96 years

Record for walking 531 miles 800 yards set March 1882 in Sheffield - Record still stands

Photo of George Littlewood

Just to put the record straight-

Florence Nightingale wasn't born in sheffield, she was born on the 20th May 1820 in Florence, Italy.

PopT

Guest Rachel Leah

I suppose this would go under the "Other" Section:

The Cantors national chain of furniture shops, naturally called "Cantor's" was started by a Sheffield cabinet maker Abe Cantor.

Under Music:

Were the "Human League" band members on the list? I don't know what their names are.

Also one of the members of "The Beautiful South" - went to Lydgate Lane School for a while and might have been in King Edwards.(?) Can't remember his name.

The following bits don't really count as the people were just passing through Sheffield.

Other:

"Sir Monagtue Burton - of the Burton tailoring/clothes group. Founded from one small shop in Chesterfield. Though not a Sheffielder his business empire orignated in this area. Montague Burton married Cissie Marks, of Worksop at North Church Street Synagogue in Sheffield." (does not exist anymore)

Samuel Marks who was an important figure in South African History. Amongst other things he was a mediator between the Boers and British in negotiations that ended the Boer War in 1902. He was born in Lithuania but emigrated. He arrived in Sheffield in 1866 and worked in a shop but was disatisfied at the prospect of spending the rest of life as a store assistant immigrated to South Africa in 1868.

I remember reading in Enid Blyton's biography by Barbara Stoney, that her father was born in Kent but had later lived in Sheffield for a long time and even had a Yorkshire accent. I think he either worked as a cutlery salesman or selling Yorkshire cloth. I can't remember. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I should check it out but the book's in storage. Don't know why she didn't put in more Yorkshire characters in her books instead of middle class Southerners ;)

Guest Rachel Leah

Further to my last post. I just got my book out. It says both Enid Blyton's parents were born and grew up in Sheffield. Soon after their marriage the Sheffield cutlery firm sent Enid Blyton's father to London where Enid Blyton was born. It says in the book that Enid Blyton used to love hearing her father tell her stories about his childhood in Sheffield. Alright she's not a Sheffielder herself but she was my favourite author as a child.

Already suggested this person somewhere else on here. We were school pals.

Tommy Eyre - Musician - (Deceased)

Wham, Joe Cocker, Gary Moore, B.B. King, John Martyn, Alex Harvey, Greg Lake, Michael Schenker, John Mayall, Tracy Chapman and Loads more!

Tommy Eyre

Guest skeets

I met Maurice Colbourne when conserving a silent 16mm film of Broomhall Nursery shot in the 1920 / 30s. It was shot by Mr Tozer of Steel, Peach & Tozer. Maurice had a child who attended the nursery and volunteered to record the voice-over for me. He turned up for the recording with a bottle of champagne and two glasses. While chatting, he told me his ambition was to make a film about the Sheffield Gang Wars and asked me to scout for suitable shooting locations while he was on holiday. Sadly he died soon after this, and the film still hasn't been made. A genuinely nice guy.

HI tsavo enlighten us on Maurice Colbourne, I'm sure there will be others that would like to know Skeets

Guest tsavo

Gladly.

Maurice was the star of the BBC's "Howards Way," a sort of up market Coronation Street set around the South coast and told the story of a boat designer who buys into a failing boatyard to build a state of the art sailing boat. A sort of Brit "Dynasty" with a million pound budget. An aweful lot of money in the 1980s.

Biog info: http://www.zetaminor.com/cult/howards_way/...ds_way_cast.htm

Title Sequence: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/titles/howardsway.shtml

Maurice appeared in numerous TV and film roles including "Escape from the Dark" (US title "the Littlest Horse Thieves") for the Disney Organisation.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076320/

A PS. There was an old actor of the same name, but you cannot have two actors with the same name. You are literally waiting for 'dead man's shoes, and have to wait until that actors demise. This is exactly what Maurice had to do.

Again, a very nice guy.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

This is a list of notable people who were born in or near, or have been residents of the City of Sheffield, England

let us know if you can add to this list..

J.M. Kilburn, who was a famous cricket writer, author of a number of books and cricket correspondent for the 'Yorkshire Post' for many years, was born in Sheffield in 1909 and completed his education at Sheffield University. A new collection of his cricket writings has just appeared, called "Sweet Summers".

WIlliam Sterndale Bennett (1816-1875), composer and pianist, was born in Sheffield, where his father Robert Bennett was organist at Sheffield Parish Church. He ws regarded as the most distinguished English romantic composer, was a friend of Mendelssohn and was feted in much of Europe.

There is a good summary of his life and works on Wikipedia.

Peter Cropper, violinist and Professor of String Quartet at Sheffield University, has been a resident of the Sheffield area for many years. He is founder of the Lindsay String Quartet and the Sheffield International Chamber Music Festival, now known as "Music in the Round"

George F Linstead (1908-1974), composer, pianist, organist, choirmaster and writer, lived for much of his life in Sheffield. His music is little known at present, but reading of his activities on the website dedicated to him suggests he was an important figure in the musical life of Sheffield in the 20th century.

http://www.georgeflinstead.org.uk/index.html

This is a list of notable people who were born in or near, or have been residents of the City of Sheffield, England

Derrick Greaves (artist)

Derrick Greaves (artist)

Welcome to the forum Tracy.

Derrick Greaves

Born 1927, Sheffield.

From 1943-1948 Derrick Greaves trained as a signwriter. After attending evening classes in Sheffield, he won a scholarship to the Royal College of Art, during which time he shared a house with the painter Jack Smith and the sculptor George Fullard. They were all part of the London-trained generation of artists from Sheffield that also included John Hoyland and Brian Fielding.

He went to Italy in 1952 on an Abbey Scholarship and met and was influenced by the realist painter Renato Guttuso. He became associated with the group of painters, including Jack Smith, dubbed the Kitchen Sink School for their strongly structured portrayals of the environment of working class life. The group exhibited at the Venice Biennale in 1956 and were re-examined in the exhibition The Forgotten Fifties, curated by Julian Spalding for the Graves Art Gallery, Sheffield in 1983. The Graves Art Gallery also held a retrospective exhibition of his work in 1980.

Derrick Greaves taught at Norwich School of Art and still lives in Norfolk.

The James Hyman Gallery

Welcome to the forum Tracy.

Derrick Greaves

Born 1927, Sheffield.

From 1943-1948 Derrick Greaves trained as a signwriter. After attending evening classes in Sheffield, he won a scholarship to the Royal College of Art, during which time he shared a house with the painter Jack Smith and the sculptor George Fullard. They were all part of the London-trained generation of artists from Sheffield that also included John Hoyland and Brian Fielding.

He went to Italy in 1952 on an Abbey Scholarship and met and was influenced by the realist painter Renato Guttuso. He became associated with the group of painters, including Jack Smith, dubbed the Kitchen Sink School for their strongly structured portrayals of the environment of working class life. The group exhibited at the Venice Biennale in 1956 and were re-examined in the exhibition The Forgotten Fifties, curated by Julian Spalding for the Graves Art Gallery, Sheffield in 1983. The Graves Art Gallery also held a retrospective exhibition of his work in 1980.

Derrick Greaves taught at Norwich School of Art and still lives in Norfolk.

The James Hyman Gallery

One and the same SteveHB.

My father (and fellow artist) and Derrick were friends and worked together as signwriters.

I have a pencil sketch - "George Kerridge by Derrick Greaves 1948".

After many years dad had it framed and has written on the back:

"Drawn at Woolens Sign Shop, Love Lane, Sheffield 1948 - The year that Derrick Greaves left sheffield for the Royal College of Art. Also the year that George Kerridge returned from India".

Though the actual sketch shows signs of wear, I think that adds to it's charm - two mates practicing their drawing skills on eachother during their tea breaks!

Hmmm wonder if Derrick has a "Derrick Greaves by George Kerridge 1948" stashed away somewhere ........... :)

Guest skeets

Thanks, Neddy. Added to the list.

tsavo do you remember JESSIE MATHEWS ,WAS SHE NOT SHEFFIELD BORN, l THOUGHT SHE WAS, MY BOOK SAYS LONDON

tsavo do you remember JESSIE MATHEWS ,WAS SHE NOT SHEFFIELD BORN, l THOUGHT SHE WAS, MY BOOK SAYS LONDON

According to the worlds biggest library, also known as the Internet, it was London.

Jessie Matthews

Sir Alastair Burnet: Journalist & Broadcaster (News at Ten)

Mark Frith: Magazine Editor (Smash Hits, Heat, Time Out) & Broadcaster (Liquid News)

Guest SuzyC

This is a list of notable people who were born in or near, or have been residents of the City of Sheffield, England.

Patricia Haines, born in Sheffield in the 30's, was an actress who appeared in lots of tv shows such as Steptoe &Son, Up Pompei, The Avengers, Danger Man, etc. She was married to Michael Caine briefly and had a daughter called Nikki (Dominique) who used to attend the same riding stables as me. I don´t think she was very popular on the gymkhana circuit as her father could afford to buy her very expensive horses! Sadly Patricia Haines died in her mid forties from lung cancer.

5 October 1969

Dominic West, born in Sheffield. West is an actor best known for his role as Detective Jimmy McNulty in The Wire. His father, George West, owned a plastics factory in Sheffield.

How embarassing! My workmate - a New Zealander brought this to my attention. To be honest I've never heard of Dominic West or seen The Wire. So, how well known / famous is he?

5 October 1969

Dominic West, born in Sheffield. West is an actor best known for his role as Detective Jimmy McNulty in The Wire. His father, George West, owned a plastics factory in Sheffield.

How embarassing! My workmate - a New Zealander brought this to my attention. To be honest I've never heard of Dominic West or seen The Wire. So, how well known / famous is he?

I must be even sadder having never heard of The Wire.

5 October 1969

And for his next trick - Dominic West tonight will be....

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Sheffield-actor-famous-as-boozy.6694799.jp

5 October 1969

And for his next trick - Dominic West tonight will be....

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Sheffield-actor-famous-as-boozy.6694799.jp

Could be a limited career if he is going to concentrate on roles featuring characters with his own surname..

BASIL DIGNAM

Basil Dignam - actor.

Sheffield

1905 to 1979.

Hammer the Toff (1952)

Touch and Go (1955)

Private's Progress (1956)

The Intimate Stranger (1956)

The Narrowing Circle (1956)

The Safecracker (1958)

Corridors of Blood (1958)

Room at the Top (1959)