S W W On A Stone

vox

I'm guessing that it might stand for Sheffield Water Works and the stone is denoting the line of an underground pipeline from either Redmires or Rivelin to the holding reservoirs in Crookes, as shown on the map provided by neddy some time ago. I would think it is more likely to be the Rivelin to Hadfield pipe line as shown on the map, but I am still working on that.

I could be completely wrong, of course.

It's certainly in the right place to be that MA and it makes sense.

If it is then there must be other stones like it I suppose.

In researching pavement features i am looking at the dating of pre-1888 water works features. There are a small number of S.W.W.C features which are Sheffield Water Works Company (1830-1888) and one just marked 'Water Works' which i believe to be quite old indeed. What happened prior to 1830? How did people get their water? What do people know of Sheffield's water history? And in the picture above where does 'Sheffield Water Works' fit into the narrative?

1825 directory.

Burbeary James, agent to the proprieters of the Sheffield water works, Church street. Residence Leavey greave.

Also spelt James Burbery, in the same directory.

1825 directory.

Burbeary James, agent to the proprieters of the Sheffield water works, Church street. Residence Leavey greave.

Also spelt James Burbery, in the same directory.

It looks like Burbeary is correct, he passed away in 1829.

April 11, 1829.